The Road to Iceland 1

The Road to Iceland is a little piggy backing on a former blog called ‘Under the Carob Tree’. It was suggested a blog about this new venture might be a good idea, like The Road to Newfoundland was. So this is the first instalment.

So how did this ever come about? You may ask.....

Back in January 2020 I was looking at videos on Facebook about Iceland. I have been to Iceland for a short vacation and was determined to go back...so followed the tourist and informational videos. For some reason into the Facebook feed popped advertising for a degree in Viking and Medieval Norse Studies, at the University of Iceland. It looked interesting, so I took a look. And then went on with other things. Twice more that came into my feed, and on the third time around I looked seriously. I knew I wanted to do something different for awhile...get back to school, break out a little from the regular. So I asked my husband and my kids.....every one said ‘Go for it! Sounds really great!’

This is a Masters Degree in Viking and Medieval Norse Studies, an international and interdisciplinary  program taught by University of Iceland, Aarhus University in Denmark, University of Copenhagen, and University of Oslo. The degree is conferred jointly by U of Iceland and U of Oslo. And I will do the third and fourth semesters, and thesis, in Oslo.

And so the application process began...getting transcripts together, writing a statement of purpose, getting references...but they had to be people who had taught me in university. Luckily, I got the last two professors at Emmanuel College who had taught me twenty-seven years ago..before they retired in April. And the transcripts! My undergrad grades were so all over the place, I would not have admitted myself to *anything*.

And wonder of wonders....I was admitted!

And.....more paperwork, mostly application for a residency permit, and finding housing. Well, the housing is taken care of...I decided better to get an apartment on campus sooner rather than later. And I have a beautiful studio apartment overlooking the ocean....cant wait to see it. And after the first orientation by Zoom, the class set up a chat group...and we have already come together. I have developed a friendship with one of the administrators, via email.

Every piece for the residency permit is in place, except the final stamps of Global Affairs Canada and the Embassy of Iceland. Once that’s done, it’s done.

Booked a flight and a car from the airport. Bought a slightly more expensive ticket in order to take two bags of 70 pounds each. Testing will take place at the airport. I will have to go straight to to student housing from the airport to get keys and then remain isolated till the results of the test come in. And load a tracking app.

Flight was cancelled. Of course COVID-19 has affected everything, so it’s to be expected. But, I was able to rebook a few days later, and rebook the car. And making lists of what to take. Student housing will provide a bed, table and chairs. Decided to pack bedding and such in one suitcase and clothing in the other. Many things are very expensive there, so stocking up and taking along is better. Cell phone - need to use an old phone with an Icelandic SIM card...so my iPhone 6S will be purged, and fitted with a new card.

And now, working through a prerequisite course in Icelandic Sagas....almost done the reading...and this week go at the lectures and do the quizzes.

I don’t believe in retirement....and have not retired. Nor plan to. I do believe in continuing to push ourselves...and this is certainly that...two new countries and new languages. Places I have visited and now will live.  There’s no age limit to learning. Lifelong learning is critical.......and so we continue. The next instalment will be when the plane really does fly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Can We Sing? Based on Lamentations 1:1-6, Psalm 137:1-6, Matthew 26:17-30 preached at York Pines United Church October 6, 2019 World Communion Sunday

“When is Enough Enough?” sermon based on Hosea 11:1-11 Luke 12:13-21 preached at York Pines United Church August 4, 2019

“Hallowe’en, All Saints and the Church” A sermon based on Hebrews 12:1-2, preached on November 3, 2019 at York Pines United Church.